February 28, 2011

Canadian Red sox

Today I received a bunch of baseball cards that I won in a contest.   As I was flipping through them I saw a George Kottaras card and started thinking about what Canadians are currently on the roster, or even at Spring Training as non-roster invitees.  After all, in the recent past, we have had players such as Jason Bay, Matt Stairs, Eric Gagne, Adam Stern and Rheal Cormier as Canadian fulltime members of the Red Sox.
In 1992,  Canadians Peter Hoy, Paul Quantrill, and Mike Gardiner (from my childhood hometown of Sarina), were all members of our pitching staff.   In the mid-90s Boston used their first draft pick on Chris Reitsma (who is from my current hometown of Calgary).   And going back a few more years, the only Canadian Hall of Famer, Fergie Jenkins, pitched for the hometown team at Fenway Park.   So which local products should I be rooting for at Fenway this season?   Much to my chagrin, there will no Canadians going North from Fort Myers.  I'll need to spend another season being called unpatriotic for not rooting for the Jays.

No comments:

Post a Comment